Recently we’ve seen too many examples of clear and widespread worker exploitation at well-known companies. Unfortunately, despite calls from Labor and the community, the Morrison Liberal Government has only responded with silence and inaction.
Only Labor will stand up for working and middle class families. We will put people first, strengthening and protecting workers’ rights at work by:
· Cracking down on the underpayment of workers, with increased penalties for employers who deliberately and systemically avoid paying their employees properly.
· Ramping up protections for workers from sham contracting.
· Giving the Fair Work Ombudsman the powers and resources to pursue employers who liquidate their companies in order to avoid paying the money they owe their workers.
· Introducing reforms to ensure that temporary overseas workers are not being exploited and underpaid and that there is a level playing field for all workers in Australia.
· Defending and restoring penalty rates.
· Continuing to oppose the Liberals’ coastal shipping plans which would result in WorkChoices on the water.
Our reforms build on our strong record of protecting wages and conditions and cracking down on worker exploitation. That is because only Labor understands that fairness at work helps to drive a more productive, competitive and prosperous economy.